Old Republic Home Warranty Reviews
The Old Republic Home Protection company was founded in 1974 under the name Dependable Home Warranty. Since then it has grown into the third largest home warranty company in the nation, and it is now known by the name Old Republic Home Protection. This company wants to do more than the bare minimum for their customers – instead of being just another one-year home warranty company, they strive to attain lifelong customers by offering great customer service, affordable plan options, and easy claims processing.
If you want to protect yourself against unexpected repair or replacement costs for your home services and appliances, consider a plan from Old Republic Home Protection. Old Republic offers fast, reliable service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
What Does Old Republic Home Protection Have to Offer?
- More than 40 years of reliable service. Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than four decades, and they are known not only for the quality of their plans but also for the quality of their customer service. Customer Service representatives are available by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Customizable plan options. Old Republic Home Protection is available in many different states, and their plan options are specific to different parts of the company. You can choose from multiple plan options to cover your home systems, home appliances, or both.
- Easy to request a free quote. It is easy to request a free plan quote on the Old Republic Home Protection website. Just click on your state on the U.S. map and provide some basic information about your property to view available plan options in your area.
- No home inspection required. While many home warranty companies require a home inspection as part of the application process, Old Republic Home Protection does not. Keep in mind, however, that pre-existing conditions are not covered – only things that are in working order at the effective date will be covered under your plan.
- A wide network of qualified service providers. Old Republic Home Protection works with some of the best service providers in the nation to ensure that their customers get quality service fast. When you buy a plan from Old Republic Home Protection, you can rest assured knowing that professional service is just a phone call away.
Costs and Plan Options
Old Republic Home Protection offers their customers three plan options – the Standard Plan, the Ultimate Protection Plan, and the Platinum Protection Plan. You also have the right to add optional coverage for other appliances and systems that are not covered by these three plans – optional coverage is offered on a per-appliance or per-system basis. Coverage may also vary from one state to another. Below you will find a comprehensive list of what is covered under each plan.
- Heating System/Ductwork
- Air Conditioner/Cooler
- Plumbing System
- Electrical System
- Garage Door Opener
- Central Vacuum
- Trash Compactor
- Kitchen Exhaust Fan
- Built-in Microwave
- Kitchen Refrigerator
- Washer & Dryer
Standard Plan Cost: The total cost for the Standard Plan ranges from $260 to $500 per year, depending on where you live. This plan includes coverage for most major systems and appliances, but there are coverage limits so be sure to review the plan details before you buy.
Ultimate Protection Plan
(Standard Plan PLUS the following)
- Plumbing (faucets, shower heads, etc.)
- Heating System (filters, heat lamps, etc.)
- Water Heater (expansion tanks)
- Dishwasher (baskets, rollers, racks, etc.)
- Oven/Microwave/Range (racks, handles, knobs, etc.)
- Trash Compactor (lock and key assemblies)
- Smoke Detector
- Garage Door Opener (parts)
- Air Conditioner (parts)
- Enhanced Coverage – up to $250 per plan to correct code violations, up to $250 per plan for required permits, haul away for covered appliances, correcting improper installations/repairs/modifications.
Ultimate Protection Plan Cost: The total cost for the Ultimate Protection Plan is around $490 with a $100 trade call fee or around $520 with a $75 trade call fee. This fee must be paid for each service call.
Platinum Protection Plan
(Ultimate Protection Plan PLUS the following)
- Plumbing items (tub spouts, diverter, basket strainer)
- Enhanced Coverage – up to $250 per plan to clear stoppages, up to $1,000 per plan for construction/carpentry, increase Standard Plan limit per term by $1,000 for heating and air conditioning systems ($2,500 total).
Platinum Protection Plan Cost: The total cost for the Platinum Protection Plan is $590 with a $100 trade call fee per service call.
Optional Coverage Add-Ons:
In addition to the systems and appliances covered by the three plans listed above, Old Republic Home Protection customers can add optional coverage for individual systems and appliances as listed below:
- Additional Refrigeration Units ($50)
- Well Pump ($100)
- Booster Pump ($75)
- External Pipe Leak Coverage ($100)
- Septic Tank Pumping/Septic Systems ($75)
- Limited Roof Leak Repair ($100)
- Pool/Spa Equipment ($180)
In addition to the cost of your Old Republic Home Protection plan, you will also be responsible for paying a trade service call fee per claim. The amount of this fee varies depending which plan you choose. You will be required to pay this fee regardless whether the claim is granted in part or in whole.
Contracts and Restrictions
To view a copy of Old Republic Home Protection brochure, click HERE.
Your plan term effective and expiration date will be indicated on the Declaration of Coverage mailed to you upon receipt of payment. Old Republic provides coverage for single family residential use resale and new construction homes less than 5,000 square feet.
Coverage is effective upon close of sale for a one-year term. The plan fee must be received within 14 days after the closing of sale. You may purchase Optional Coverage within 60 days of close of sale. Upon receipt of additional plan fee, you will be mailed an updated Declaration of Coverage.
The plan will be renewed at Old Republic’s discretion. If your plan is eligible for renewal, you will be notified of the plan fee and terms approximately 60 days before expiration of the plan. Plan fees may increase upon renewal and payment must be received before plan expiration.
The plan is non-cancelable except for nonpayment of fees, misrepresentation of facts, or upon mutual agreement. If the plan is canceled you will be entitled to a pro-rated refund of paid plan fees for the unexpired term, less service costs incurred and a $50 processing fee.
Old Republic Home Protection offers their clients the ability to customize their plan according to their needs. The Standard Plan is the basic plan for coverage, but it can be upgraded to either the Ultimate Protection or Platinum Protection plan. There are also special add-ons available if you choose. In addition to offering flexible plan options, Old Republic Home Protection also has an excellent customer service team. Customers can speak to a Customer Service agent by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you can submit your claim online or by phone at 800-445-6999.
The Better Business Bureau has given Old Republic Home Protection their highest rating of “A+.” Though this company is accredited by the BBB, there are some negative reviews online.
When you decide to compare Old Republic Home Protection to some of its competitors, you will find advantages as well as disadvantages. One of the main advantages that Old Republic Home Protection offers their customers is the ability to customize their coverage – there is one standard plan with two options for upgrades and individual add-ons available as well. As far as disadvantages go, coverage and costs vary from one state to another which can be a little confusing.
If you have further questions about Old Republic Home Protection, their plans, or their contract, call toll-free at 800-445-6999 to speak with a Customer Service representative.
The Bottom Line
The Old Republic Home Protection Company has been around for more than 40 years, so you know they are doing something right. Not only does this company have excellent customer service, but they work with an extensive network of qualified, professional service providers. If you want to protect yourself against unexpected repair or replacement costs for your home systems and appliances, there is no better solution than a home warranty from Old Republic Home Protection.
Jonathan Jones is a freelance writer who has been featured in multiple home warranty publications. He writes about various home-related topics including appliance repair, warranty contracts, homeowners insurance, and more.
Customer reviews for Old Republic Home Warranty
Our Rating 3.7
User Rating 2.0
2.0 out of 5 stars
Based on 12 reviews
5 star reviews
4 star reviews
3 star reviews
2 star reviews
1 star reviews
Share your thoughts
If you’ve used this company, share your thoughts with other customersWrite a review